Mr. Middlebrow, Esq. or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Pass the Bar

Hello, Internet. Yeah, it's been a while. Not much, how 'bout you?

So, for those scoring along at home in their lucky souvenir programs, I sat for my state's Bar Exam on July 27 and 28, 2010.

True to the predictions of Snag and some others who went before me, I came out of the exam absolutely certain that I had failed. In particular, my performance on the second day, the Multistate Bar Exam (MBE), felt so abysmal that I was ready to book a room at the Ramada Inn where I stayed; I was that sure I would be coming back to retest in February. But, I'm pleased to report that (again, as Snag had forseen) I passed. I was admitted to the State Bar in late August.

So now I'm a bona fide esquire. Given the dismal employment picture, I've decided to hang out my shingle; I've even got a TV commercial:


My current job, while not perfect, meets the minimum criteria that I established for myself when I graduated: it doesn't involve me asking, "would you like that with regular or skim milk?" 
Actually, I've been working as a part-time clerk and sometime associate--a "clerksoicate," if you will (which makes me the legal equivalent of Dr. Tobias Fünke's "Analrapist"?) for a solo lawyer whose practice consists mostly of bankruptcy and insurance subrogation debt recovery. On the one hand, it's not exactly the kind of law I'm interested in practicing; on the other hand, it meets the minimum employment criteria that I established for myself when I graduated. Namely, it doesn't involve me using the phrase "would you like that with regular or skim milk?" In other words, it's a real lawyer job. Mostly. And, along with showing me the basics of civil procedure and litigation, he's been helping me get my own practice going. Which means that, in between filing (and occasionally arguing) motions, I'm networking and generally doing what I can to scare up copyright and trademark clients.

My plan now is to get an IP blog going and establish myself as a go-to source for innovators--start-ups, small businesses, and artists--who have IP issues. I suspect half the battle is making them aware that they have issues in the first place. In any case, any and all referrals and leads are welcome and appreciated.

What this means for the future of this blog is uncertain. It's always been a struggle to maintain it and the advent of Facebook and Twitter has removed even more of the incentive to keep it up. I do hope regular readers of A Drinking Song will check out my new digs as they come online. Also, please friend and/or follow me if you're so inclined. I'm also on LinkedIn, though I haven't found that to be of much use, either for networking or entertainment/goofing off.

7 comments:

fish said...

Congratulations MrM.

Snag said...

I hate to say I told you so....

Actually, I don't hate it at all. Anyway, congratulations. I don't know much about the legal market down that way, or the IP market anywhere, but lack of knowledge never precludes me from giving advice if you ever want to bounce an idea off of someone.

l-arginine plus said...

Hope they will make a DVD compilation on all the episodes.

said...

Here's the original drinkin' song, well...for the U. S. of A.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9lYC0lBfkA

Nashwa Mostafa said...

مؤسسة تركيب مظلات

المتوكل على الله said...


شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض

alwafaa campany said...




https://alwfaa-campany.com/
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بجدة
شركة تنظيف منازل بالظهران
شركة تنظيف منازل بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف منازل بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالجبيل