Give the people what they want, YouTube edition.

About a year or so ago, I did a post wherein I marveled at the number of people who happened by while searching for drinking songs. Actually, given the title of my blog, that wasn't so surprising (Yeats be damned). What was surprising--and remains so--is that easily half the drinking song questers were/are looking for the song(s) from Jaws. My ham-fisted analysis of these data suggests that of all the people looking for drinking songs, half of them are shark hunters. And most of them are completely hammered.

Last year, in the interests of cultivating a little good will on the interwebs, I posted the lyrics and a couple lame photos, for the Jaws bit and (because we're all about value) the lyrics to the Monty Python Australian Philosopher's Drinking Song as a special bonus if you click and comment before midnight tonight.

This year, I'm adding moving pictures and sound. Next year, who knows? Could be 3-D holograms or neural receptors that let you taste the beer. You just have to keep checking back. Because we here at A Drinking Song pride ourselves on providing cutting-edge entertainment technology.*

Enjoy!

Show Me the Way to Go Home


Show me the way to go home (bum, bum),
I’m tired and I wanna go to bed,
I had a little drink about an hour ago
and it went right to my head.

Where ever I may roam, (bum bum)
by land or sea or foam,
you can always hear me singing this song,
show me the way to go home…


The Philosophers Drinking Song



Emmanuel Kant was a real pissant
who was very rarely stable
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
who could think you under the table
David Hume could out-consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as sloshed as Schlegel.

There’s nothing Nietzsche couldn’t teach ye
‘bout the raisin o’ the wrist
Socrates himself was permanently pissed.

And John Stewart Mill (of his own free will)
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill
Plato, they say, could stick it away:
Half a crate of whiskey every day
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
“I drink, therefore I am!”

Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed:
A lovely little thinker

But a bugger when he’s pissed!


*Actually, we're just shameless whores for visitors and comments.

4 comments:

Irene Done said...

I eagerly await the neural receptors. Fun! In the meantime, I'm trying to think of another movie drinking song scene. The only thing I can come up with is Gigi's "The Night They Invented Champagne," which just isn't the same now is it?

Mr. Middlebrow said...

No, but good effort. Here's a lil something for your trouble:

"Thank heaven...for Irene Doooooonnne...!"

Anonymous said...

You can not beat a good sea chanty.

Ever.

Anonymous said...

Busted. I totally came here for the Jaws song, I wanted to send it to somebody. Also I'm a wee bit drunk myself. Loved the video!

-K